Summer Learning Series
Summer Learning Series for Catechists 2020-2021
Day: Saturdays, Time: 3 -4.30pm CST
The Department of Faith Formation is excited to announce a Summer Learning Series for enhancing knowledge and skills for our Catechists in the Diocese. These ten 1 ½ hour classes offer a diverse variety of Faith and Classroom related Topics. Please share the information with your teachers.
- Classes will be conducted virtually via, WebEx and is free of charge
- Any active catechist of our diocese is welcome to register.
- Each parish/mission can register up to three teachers per topic.
- A teacher cannot register for not more than 3 topics.
- Each class is limited to a total of 50 participants and registration is on a first come first serve basis
- Pre-registration is mandatory, including full name of the participant, email address, name of the parish and cell phone as required.
- WebEx classroom link will be sent through the registered email only to teachers who are registered
The Topics, presenter, learning objectives and registration information are below.
1. Digital Tools for Virtual Faith Formation – July 18
- Session on Online Faith formation using digital toolkits
- Strategies for Effective online faith formation
Resource person: Jacob Mathew, a catechist from St. Mother Teresa Syro Malabar Mission, Livermore, CA.
2. Explore & Awaken your Hidden Teacher Capacities (For catechists of 11&12 grades) - July 25
- How can we hold & productively engage HS CCD students in Class?
- Experience sharing, Model class, presentation of student works & Resources
Resource person: Luke Edamana, a Higher Secondary Science teacher in Loyola University, Chicago and facilitated CCD (12th Gr.) for 14 years in Mar Thoma Sleeha Cathedral, Chicago
3. Making Faith Formation interesting for our kids (For Catechists of Higher graders) – August 1
- How to engage our CCD students using our textbooks, videos, games, and student presentations
- Model Class presentation of a higher-grade textbook
Resource persons: Ajith Cherayil and Mariella Payyapalli, are 11th grade CCD teachers from St. Thomas Forane Church, Somerset (NJ).
4. Making Faith Formation interesting for our kids (For the Catechists of Middle school graders) - August 8
- How to engage our CCD students using our textbooks, storytelling, videos, games, and student presentations
- Model Class presentation of a Middle school textbook
Resource persons: Ajith Cherayil and Mariella Payyapalli, 11th grade CCD teachers from St. Thomas Forane Church, Somerset (NJ).
5. Safe Environment and Child Protection New guidelines on Virtual Faith Formation (A mandatory session for all DREs) - August 15
- Responsibilities of DREs in Virtual Faith Formation
- How we can protect our children from the dangerous zones of Virtual Classes
Resource Persons: Thomas Moolayil, Executive Director, Office for the Protection of Children and Youth, St. Thomas Syro Malabar Catholic Diocese of Chicago, since 2015.
6. A Study on the Syro Malabar Catechetical Textbooks Series - August 22
- A Study of the Content of the Syro Malabar Catechetical Textbooks
- Sources and Content of Catechesis
- The main Catechetical System in the Church
Resource person: Rev. Dr. George Danavelil, Director of the Department of Catechesis, St. Thomas Syro Malabar Catholic Diocese of Chicago
7. Forming Christian Character Beyond the Classroom through Pious Organizations (For the Catechists of Lower School Grad.) – August 29
- Explore various facets of Pious Organization (how to get started, how to manage them, etc.)
- Importance of training/developing leadership skills in children outside the classroom
- Empowering children to take leadership and become missionaries.
Resource Person: Sr. Agnes Maria working with children for over 15 years both at St. Joseph’s Syro Malabar Catholic Forane Church, Houston and St. Mary’s Syro Malabar Catholic Church, Pearland.
8. Thirst for Christ - A Parents Faith Formation Program initiative (For the Catechists of 3rd-grade students) – September 05
- Focused mainly on the Catechists of 3rd-grade students, who are preparing the students for Solemn Holy Communion and First Confession.
- To uplift the spiritual and religious growth of parents & equipping parents with the knowledge and skills necessary for faith-forming of their children especially in the preparation of Solemn Holy Communion and First Confession
Resource person: Lintu Mathews Karimpil serving as the DRE of St Teresa Mission, Livermore, SFO.
9. Catechesis Outside the Classes- Outreach programs in Faith Formation- September 12
- Identify the role of extracurricular activities in faith formation
- Identify one or two activities that they can employ in their respective parish
Resource persons: Rinson John, Serving as the DRE of Holy Family Syro Malabar Church, Phoenix, Arizona.
10. Effective Teaching and Classroom Management Strategies for Catechists – September 19
- Classroom management skills in American School systems
- Classroom activities in American School system
Resource Person: Sajan Mathew has been served as the DRE of Holy Family Syro Malabar Church, Phoenix, Arizona, currently working as an American History teacher.
Dr. George Danavelil Mr. Tison Thomas
(630) 286-3767 (248) 470-2541